Tax managers are primarily responsible for the review of complex tax returns and for providing advanced technical assistance, tax planning, and research on complex tax issues. Tax managers assist in the development and training of staff. They have a significant amount of client contact and create relationships to help develop new business for the firm. Tax managers work closely with the shareholders to provide innovative tax planning strategies for our clients.
- Performs technical tax review of all tax returns and governmental tax examinations of any complexity.
- Assumes full responsibility for larger tax returns and delegates to the various tax preparers as deemed necessary.
- Delegates and manages tax research projects to achieve an accurate and efficient product.
- Participates actively in client meetings and tax planning efforts to assist with larger clients.
- Acts as a resource for staff on specific tax issues and questions.
- Assumes tax preparation responsibility for complex business returns.
- Assumes service responsibility for clients delegated from the shareholder or for the clients for whom they work directly.
- Manages governmental tax examinations; may represent the client before the appropriate taxing authorities.
- Maintains familiarity with qualifications of all tax team members.
- Works to develop responsible well-trained staff by assisting in recruiting, performance evaluations, curriculum development, and instruction.
- Prepares invoices to clients, communicates detail of fees to clients, and assists in collection of overdue accounts.
- Assumes responsibility for smooth flow of tax returns through the tax preparation system to assure accurate, complete, and timely preparation and delivery of clients’ tax returns.
- Possesses a complete knowledge of the firm’s philosophy and its opinions on tax matters.
- Completes projects as requested from time to time by the shareholders.
- Participates in firm’s practice development efforts through involvement with referral sources, community, and industry activities.
Bachelor’s degree in accounting required; master’s degree in taxation desirable. At least five (5) years experience in public accounting, demonstrating a proven progression in tax return complexity, scope and research. Ability to represent clients before taxing authorities. Minimum of one (1) year experience supervising and directing work of tax preparers. A current and valid certified public accountant’s license is required. Proficient in use of tax preparation, tax research, and tax planning software programs.